The consumer and trade shows dedicated to the chocolate and dessert industry returns to Navy Pier October 18-22
The Chicago Fine Chocolate & Dessert Show and National Chocolate & Dessert Show (trade show) will return to Navy Pier this Friday, October 18 through Sunday, October 20 and Sunday, October 20 through Tuesday, October 22, respectively. The show is also perfectly timed with Sweetest Day on Saturday, October 19.
With over 10,000 consumer guests and 2,700 trade attendees at last year’s shows, the dual concept consumer and trade shows celebrate all things chocolate and dessert. Highlights from both shows include:
Chicago Fine Chocolate & Dessert Show (consumer): October 18-20
Exhibitors: Experience the finest hand-painted artisan bars, uniquely-flavored truffles, decadent cakes, tarts, mousses, and more. Exhibitors include: Betty Jane Candies, Dove Chocolate Discoveries, flying noir, Four Brothers Chocolates, Madison Chocolatiers West, Mayana Chocolate, Oak Mill Bakery, Sweet Secrets Artisan Chocolate, T’s Toffee, and more.
- 1,000 Pound Chocolate Sculpture of a Chicago Blues Player by Chef Alain Roby of the All Chocolate Kitchen: The three-time Guinness World Record holder is at it again creating a replica of the iconic Chicago Blues Brother with saxophone in tow.
- French Pastry School’s Demonstration Stage and Chocolate Art Gallery: The world class pastry chefs and master chocolatiers will showcase classic techniques of chocolate making from truffles to marshmallows on the Demonstration Stage. See here for the full line-up. The chefs will also create chocolate art pieces from start-to-finish like the rooster from last year’s show.
- Cake & Pastry Art Gallery Presented by Icing Smiles: Six nationally-recognized cake artists from shows such as TLC’s Ultimate Cake Off and the recent Food Network Halloween Wars will showcase elaborate Halloween-inspired cakes. Attendees can place a monetary vote on their favorite and all proceeds will benefit the show’s charity partner, Icing Smiles, a nonprofit organization that provides custom celebration cakes and other treats to families impacted by the critical illness of a child. Cake artists include: Bob Brougham of The Cakery, Inc.; Mark Lie of A Piece of Cake – Custom Cakes by Mark; Michelle Boyd of Good Gracious Cakes; Deborah Ryan of The Sugar Garden; Karen Scobbie of Karen Scobbie Cake Design; and Vinny and Michelle Garcia formerly of Bleeding Heart Bakery.
- Sugar Art Gallery Presented by Edible Artists Network: Talented chefs will also showcase their artistic talents sugar, marshmallows, and more at the Sugar Art Gallery. Artists include: Peggy Tucker of School of Cakeology; Alejandra Morin of The Marshmallow Studio; Diane Simmons of Cake Connection; Rebecca Wortman of Imagine Something Sweet; Nicole Lang of Sugar Mommas Custom Cakes; Certified Master Sugar Artist (CMSA) Lorena Hernendez; Mark Lie of A Piece of Cake – Custom Cakes by Mark; and Michelle Boyd of Good Gracious Cakes.
- Interactive Seminars: Inquisitive dessert fans can learn the tips and tricks to solve their baking blunders with educational, interactive seminars from the industry’s esteemed pastry chefs like Top Chef: Just Desserts contestant and owner of By M Desserts, Malika Ameen; winner of CBS’s The American Baking Competition, Brian Emmett; and more.
- Pastry Chicago’s Haunted Cupcake Challenge (Friday, October 18 from 5-7 p.m.): Amateur bakers will showcase their pastry prowess as Pastry Chicago hosts its 7th Annual Haunted Cupcake Competition and Costume Party.
- Celebrated Pastry Chefs Council (Saturday, October 19 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.): Chicago’s pastry chef elite have assembled for the first-ever Celebrated Pastry Chefs Council. The group comprised of Thomas Raquel of Acadia, Elissa Narow of Perennial Virant and Vie, Meg Galus of NoMI Kitchen, Patrick Fahy of Sixteen at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, Kym DeLost of Storefront Company, and Courtney Joseph of Takashi and Slurping Turtle will serve their signature treats for guests to sample during this limited time.
National Chocolate & Dessert Show (trade): October 20-22
Exhibitors: Foodservice, wholesaler and retailer buyer, and chef attendees will find the ingredients, equipment, packaging and more to build out their chocolate and dessert programs. Exhibitors include: Barry-Callebaut, Cary’s of Oregon, Fabbri North America, Foodlinks, Inc., Innovative Energy, Inc., KeHE Distributors, Micelli Chocolate Mold Company, Mod-Pac Corporation, Savage Bros. Co., Valrhona, and more.
The Material Handling Conference 1.0: The Indispensable Pastry Chef: World-class pastry chefs and industry leaders will offer expert insights and actionable tips to elevate chocolate and dessert programs. Each conference sessions is $29 per conference and includes admission into the trade show.
- Gelato Technique with Patrick Fahy of Sixteen at Trump International Hotel & Tower® Chicago and Jimmy MacMillan of JMPurePastry; Sunday, October 20, 10 a.m. in Classroom 1.
- Preserves In and Out of Season with Chef Meg Galus of NoMI Kitchen and Jimmy MacMillan of JMPurePastry; Monday, October 21, 10 a.m. in Classroom 1.
- Ganaches–Spirits, Juices & Puree with Thomas Raquel of Acadia and Jimmy MacMillan of JMPurePastry; Tuesday, October 22, 9 a.m. in Classroom 1.
- Everyone Loves Chocolate Truffles: Join legendary Pastry Chef Stanton Ho for a seminar on chocolate truffle making using a variety of chocolates from Casa Luker and Truffly Made’s labor-saving, high-tech silicone molds; Sunday, October 20, 10 a.m. in Classroom 2.
- Winning Secrets of a Chocolate Champion: Tips and Techniques of Dessert Competition from Andy Chlebana: Pastry chefs interested in pursuing competition careers will learn how to read the rule book to win, what judges look for, and other top tips from veteran dessert competitor Andy Chlebana (Pastry Team USA, Food Network Challenge winner, Dessert Professional magazine Top 10 Pastry Chef); Sunday, October 20, 12 p.m. in Classroom 1.
- Be a Part of ChocoHistory!: Join world-renowned explorers Daniel and Linda Rice Lorenzetti (ImageExpedition.com) at their first-ever interactive chocolate presentation as they share about their mission to save and document the world’s cacao. Be a part of the launch of their Interactive Chocolate App by sharing your professional knowledge after their presentation; FREE; Sunday, October 20, 12 p.m. in Classroom 2.
- Chocolate: Unique and Savory Applications Presented by Cacao Barry
- Top Ten Chocolatier Frederic Loraschi will show you how to take menus in a new but familiar direction. Join him for an inspirational seminar where chocolate has no limits. Learn how to make chocolate work for you while you taste Frederic’s unique and savory chocolate applications; Monday, October 21, 10 a.m. in Classroom 2.
First Annual Chocolate and Dessert Innovation (CADI) Awards:
The expert panel of CADI judges including Franco Pacini (director, The French Pastry School), Matthew Stevens (publisher, Dessert Professional), Liz Grossman (managing editor, Plate Magazine), and John Reed (American Culinary Federation/owner, Customized Culinary Solutions) will evaluate finalists in three categories of best new product, best flavor profile, and best sustainable product to determine the winners from the country’s top pasty artisans to be on display at Chicago’s Navy Pier on Sunday, October 20. Highlights of the finalists include: a pretzel chocolate pizza; hyper local chocolates utilizing local black walnuts and spicebush berries from Ohio; chocolates with a chili sea salt; roasted chipotle chocolate salsa; a journal made out of bark from the cocoa tree; herb crystals; and more. See the full list of CADI finalists here.
This year’s consumer show, the Chicago Fine Chocolate & Dessert Show, will take place on Friday, October 18 (3 p.m.-8 p.m.), Saturday, October 19 (10 a.m.- 9 p.m.), and Sunday, October 20 (10 a.m.-6 p.m.). The trade show of the National Chocolate & Dessert Show will intersect with the consumer show on Sunday, October 20 and run through Tuesday, October 22. The show floor hours of the trade show will be Sunday, October 20 and Monday, October 21 from 2 p.m.- 6 p.m. and Tuesday, October 22 from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. Guests can purchase tickets to the consumer show for $25 here. Attendees may register for the trade show or conference for $29, visit here.
The Chicago Fine Chocolate & Dessert Show and National Chocolate Show & Dessert Show
The 2nd annual consumer Chicago Fine Chocolate & Dessert Show (CFCDS) and trade National Chocolate & Dessert Show (NCDS) are the only dual concept, trade and consumer shows dedicated to the chocolate and dessert industry. Held at Chicago’s Navy Pier on October 18-20 (consumer) and October 20-October 22 (trade), CFCDS and NCDS bring together the industry’s leading exhibitors in chocolate and dessert ingredients, equipment, packaging, artisan confections, and more. Endorsed by a team of elite sponsors in the industry, including The French Pastry School, Fine Chocolate Industry Association (FCIA), National Confectioners Association’s Chocolate Council, American Culinary Federation (ACF)—Windy City Professional Culinarians, Candy Industry, Plate, Gourmet News magazines and more, NCDS and CFCDS will also feature on-site demonstrations from renowned pastry chefs, the Material Handling Conference 1.0 (for trade attendees), and more. To register for NCDS, visit here. To buy tickets to CFCDS for $25, visit here. To learn more, about both shows, please visit www.chicagochocolatefestival.com.