A Culinary Exploration into the World of Wild Foods Judges, Chefs and Wineries Announced!
A celebration of the amazing array of wild foods will be the centerpiece for a weekend of gourmet food, world-class wine and beer, entertainment, expert-led foraging hikes and a friendly chef competition with celebrity judges.
Save the dates of January 17th through 19th, 2014. Big Sur area restaurants will host the culinary expertise of notable chefs preparing unique fare from rustic to elegant, paired with the region’s amazing selection of wines and beers.
The event also serves as a fundraiser for the Big Sur Health Center. The community’s non-profit health center will receive the proceeds from the foraging events to support the continued presence of local health care services.
Event schedule to include:
Friday, January 17th “Firestone and Fungus at Big Sur Roadhouse.” David Walker “The Lion” of Firestone-Walker Brewing Co. will be in the building. BBQ: Rain or Shine
- NoBS Chili
- BBQ Brisket
- Baked field peas
- Long-Cooked foraged winter greens
- Roasted Mushrooms
- And of course, Firestone-Walker brew….
- $50.00 including beer pairing.
- Reservation seating-no single start time.
- 50-60 people.
Saturday, January 18th “Wild Mushroom Walk and Talk” at Pfeiffer State Park and at Ventana Inn & Spa, both led by expert foragers. Cost per person is $35.
Saturday, January 18th “Fungus Face-Off” on the deck at Ventana Inn & Spa!
- “Fungus Face-Off” at Ventana Inn & Spa from 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm. Cost per person is $45. A friendly competition among some of the area’s notable chefs featuring chanterelles and other fabulous fungi. Celebrity judges areKGO’s Joel Riddell, Jim Dodge and Wendy Brodie.
- Attendees also have an opportunity to cast their vote for “People’s Choice”.
- Participating restaurants are: Big Sur Roadhouse, Hyatt Carmel Highlands, Esalen, Big Sur Bakery, Fernwood Resort, Bernardus Lodge, Carmel Valley Ranch and The Restaurant at Ventana.
- Quail and Olive will do an olive oil and vinegar tasting.
Wine pairings will be provided by:
- Baker & Brian
- Comanche Cellars
- Mesa del Sol
- Dawn’s Dream
This year there will be a wine raffle! Grab a ticket for $10 to win 30 or more bottles of wine in your own wine barrel! A silent auction full of culinary delights, hotel stays, tickets to explore the area, art and so much more will take place during the food and wine sampling.
Saturday, January 18th Grand Celebrity Chef Dinner at Ventana Inn & Spa “Foragers Dinner” at the Restaurant at Ventana beginning at 6:00 pm. The evening will be a very special meal prepared by Ventana’s Executive Chef Truman Jones and two celebrity guest chef’s Chef Ethan Stowell/ Ethan Stowell Restaurants in Seattle and Chef Jason Wilson Crush in Seattle. The multi-course dinner, destined to be a memorable feast paired with an incredible wine selection, costs $175.00 per person.
Sunday, January 19th Brunch at the new Big Sur Roadhouse, Details to come
Tickets on sale now at www.eventbrite.com/event/5769234937.