Pan Seared Scallops with Blood Orange Gastrique and Basil Risotto
Makes 4 servings
- 20 Large Sea Scallops
- 2 Cups Arborio Rice
- 2 oz. Salted Butter
- ½ Cup Asiago Cheese
- 2 oz. Fresh Basil
- ¼ Cup Chopped Red Onion
- 2 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in small sauce pan.
- Add onion and stir until translucent.
- Add Arborio rice and continue to stir until the outside of the rice is translucent.
- Add vegetable stock.
- Bring heat to low and continue to stir until the rice has absorbed the vegetable stock.
- Add Butter, cheese, and basil.
- Pat Dry then coat with salt and pepper.
- Heat large skillet to high and get the pan HOT.
- Very carefully add 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Carefully place the scallops in the pan and allow to brown for approx. 1-2 minutes on each side, brown on the outside and opaque in the center.
Blood Orange Gastrique Ingredients:
- 1 Cup Fresh orange juice – from approx. 6 oranges
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Sherry wine vinegar
- ½ Cup vegetable stock
Blood Orange Gastrique Directions:
- Place sugar in a heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the sugar melts.
- Cook until deep golden, approx. 4 minutes. Add vinegar (mixture will harden).
- Stir until the caramel melts.
- Add orange juice and boil until the mixture thickens (about 4 minutes).
- Add stock and boil until gastrique coats spoon and is reduced to approx. ½ cup, about 15 minutes.
About Tuscany Grill
Tuscany Grill is located at 120 College St., Middletown, Connecticut in the historic Middlesex Opera House building. For more information, visit www.tuscany-grill.com.