Created By: Sarah Heard and Nathan Lemley, Chef Owners of Foreign & Domestic in Austin.
Description: Make your guest’s taste buds say “YES!” with the hottest ring recipe to come outta Texas. Seasoned with the trusted taste of Lawry’s® Seasoned Salt, these fresh cake flour-based onion rings can make four tower servings from only 3 onions! Tears not included.
Yield: 4 Servings
1.5 cups Cornstarch
1.5 cups Cake flour
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 each Egg
1 each Egg white
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1 tablespoon Baking soda
3 each Onions
½ teaspoon Lawrys® Seasoned Salt, to taste
For the Tempura Onion Rings:
- Set fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Set up a circulator at 85 degrees Celsius.
- Slice ¾ inch thick onion rounds.
- Place onions in a single layer in a cryovac bag and vacuum seal them tightly.
- Submerge onions in the circulator bath and cook for 60 minutes.
- Remove onion rings from cooking bath, separate rings and place on drying rack.
- Pat rings dry with paper towel.
- Dip onion rings in tempura and drop one by one in the fryer and fry until golden brown.
- Season with Lawrys ® Seasoned Salt.
- In a decorative manner, place the onion rings on a plate in the form of a small tower and serve.
For more flavorful inspiration, visit: www.McCormickForChefs.com