Gems of Southeast Europe (Wine Cruise)
Sailing between Budapest and Giurgiu, this cruise allows guests to explore the exotic culinary delights of Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, and Romania.
- Wine lovers will enjoy exploring the history of the Balkans viticulture including a visit to Szekszárd, one of the oldest red-wine-growing areas in Hungary established more than 2,000 years ago and wine tasting in Ilok, which has been the center of Croatian wine production since Roman times.
- In Belgrade, guests can venture up Avala Mountain to sip Šlivovitz, Serbian plum brandy while sampling delicious local delights at the Quburich Distillery.
- For a more immersive culinary experience, guests can also visit a local Bulgarian home for a cooking demonstration and try their hand at making traditional yogurt and Banitsa, a pastry prepared by layering a mixture of whisked eggs and cheese with filo dough.
Medieval Treasures (Wine Cruise)
Showcasing the romantic Rhine and peaceful Main Rivers, this itinerary sails between Basel and Nuremberg and provides the opportunity to discover the epicurean treasures of medieval Switzerland, France, and Germany.
- Guests begin in Rüdesheim with a hike through the region’s scenic vineyards and a taste of its famed Riesling.
- Back onboard, they are warmly greeted with Rüdeshiemer Kaffee, a specialty coffee mixed with sugar and Asbach brandy, another famed specialty of this charmingly rustic town.
- In Wertheim, guests can take in quaint half-timbered houses on their way to tour a pretzel bakery for a taste of Germany’s iconic baked good.
- AmaWaterways’ guests round out their itinerary with an exclusive wine festival celebration in Volkach and a self-guided culinary tour of Bamberg to sample local delicacies including smoked beer, licorice root, and Hornla pastry, a favorite whose recipe dates back to 1427.
Wine Cruises are the ideal way to explore the world while learning from and engaging with expert wine hosts who live, breathe, and love wine. AmaWaterways hand-selected wine hosts are a mix of North America’s top certified sommeliers, winery owners, and professional winemakers.
During these wine cruises wine enthusiasts have the opportunity to partake in engaging seminars, wine-pairing dinners, tasting events, and a host of exclusive shore excursions that immerse them in the culture and history of the world’s finest wine regions.