This Luscious Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, submitted by Michaela Rosenthal of Woodland Hills, CA, took third place in Coast Packing’s 2nd Annual #LardLovers Recipe Contest last December. The month-long contest drew homegrown recipes — savory and sweet alike — from around the country, as well as feedback from the social media community.
Makes 24 cookies
- 1 cup lard
- 1-1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 large fresh eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 teaspoon pecan or walnut oil
- 2-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (12 oz) bag mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the lard, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and nut oil.
- When creamy, add in the flour, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt.
- When thoroughly combined, mix in the chocolate chips.
- Remove from mixing bowl and using an ice cream or cookie scoop, make 24 dough balls.
- Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet* and refrigerate cookies for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes then flatten slightly with the back of a spatula.
- Continue to bake for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown and crispy (the center of the cookie will look slightly underbaked which is normal).
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
*Insulated cookie sheets work best with this recipe.