- 4 lbs Idaho® Russet Potatoes, peeled
- 8 Eggs
- 1/2 C Potato Starch
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper, ground
- Canola or Safflower oil for frying
Pickled Red Onions (prepare 8 hours or up to 1 week ahead)
- 1 C Plain Rice Vinegar
- 1/3 C Water
- 4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 4 tsp Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 Clove Garlic, smashed
- 3 C Red Onion, vertically sliced
- 24 Hash Baes
- 1 ½ C Labneh, sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt
- 6 oz Salmon Roe
- 1 English Cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 Bunch Fresh Dill for garnish
- Pickled Red Onions for garnish
- Prepared Chipotle-Bourbon Ketchup
- Heat oven to 350°F (convection) or 375°F (conventional).
- Shred potatoes with a large whole grater, placing shredded potato into a bowl of cold water to prevent oxidizing.
- Drain potatoes and squeeze dry. Spread in a thin layer on one or two sheet pans. (Line with parchment for easier clean-up if desired.) Bake until dry but not brown, stirring once or twice, about 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, potato starch, garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper. Mix in shredded potatoes, being careful not to mash the potatoes.
- Scoop mixture into 24 portions using a 3-ounce scoop, or about 1 heaping 1/4 cup measure. Place on a sheet pan and flatten to about 1/2-inch. Fry immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
- To prepare red onions stir together vinegar, water, brown sugar, salt and garlic in a small container until sugar is dissolved. Add sliced onion. (Adjust container size as needed so onions are completely immersed.) Refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 1 week ahead. Makes about 2 cups.
- To serve, heat 1/2-inch oil in a large deep skillet to 350-375°F. Fry potato portions until deep golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to paper towels to drain. (If frying all at once, place a cooling rack over a sheet pan and hold in a warm oven until serving.)
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons Labneh on a plate. Arrange two Hash Bae; garnish each Hash Bae with a dollop of Labneh, 1/2 tablespoon salmon roe, a few strips of onion and dill fronds. Serve with spicy ketchup.