With the dawn of a New Year comes renewed goals, be it to eat more plants, exercise or take on a new hobby. If consuming less alcohol or exploring that #sobercurious lifestyle are on the list, there’s no shortage of creative, spirit-free beverages to experience at leading Chicago restaurants.
With house-made sodas, syrups and fresh purees — coupled with creative flavor profiles and the same innovation that goes into crafting an alcoholic-based cocktail — beverage managers citywide are taking the basic “mocktail” to new heights. Behold, an array of options!
2015 W. Division St.
To complement a menu of fulfilling proteins and farm-fresh, veggie forward offerings, Clever Rabbit offers a ‘Cottontails” section of its beverage menu for those who choose to go spirit-free. One option includes the Charred Grapefruit Aqua Fresca featuring Charred Grapefruit, Lime, Agave, Pink Peppercorns and Grapefruit Topo Chico ($8). Additional spirit-free selections are coming soon!
1748 W Lake Street
At the West Loop’s Eden restaurant, Mixologists Alex Rydzewski and Charlie Foreman take great pride in creating alcohol-free selections packed with original flavors and stunning presentation. Selections (all $10) include:
* Forbidden Fruit Canela Noir with Apple cider, Rare Tea Cellar lapsang souchong, lemon, cinnamon
* Citta Modena Canela Noir with orange, balsamic lavender syrup, Meyer’s lemon, basil, club soda
* Canela Noir with toasted black rice, fermented black lime, smoked black sea salt, cinnamon, vanilla
* Sanguine Sling with blood orange, lime, rosemary honey syrup, ginger beer
* White Hot Chocolate with Zephyr white chocolate, milk, raspberry dust, house made whipped cream
700 N. Sedgwick St.
At River North’s Entente, the Michelin-starred beverage team is pleased to present a range of non-alcoholic options to complement the contemporary cuisine of Chef/Partner Brian Fisher. Selections (all $13) include:
* 700 Club with cucumber citrate, lime, violet, cucumber mint lemonade, butter pea flower and CBD
* Peach Phosphate with peach, acid phosphate and soda
* The Panhandle with seedlip citrus grove, fig, lemon and soda
57 E Oak St.
Enjoy a taste of all seasons at the Gold Coast’s glittering Le Colonial, with fruit-forward alcohol-free options ($10) including:
* MUA XUAN –Spring with blackberries, lemon juice, Sprite and mint
* MUA HE – Summer with pineapple, mango, lychee and lemon juice
* MUA THU – Autumn with guava, coconut, cranberry jiice and Sprite
* MUA DONG – Winter with cucumber, ginger beer and lime juice
Trump International Hotel & Tower
401 N. Wabash Avenue, Mezzanine Level
While taking in stunning views of the Chicago River and Chicago’s famed bridges, guests of Rebar — the sophisticated lounge at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago — can stick to their resolutions with the Berry Responsible, which includes fresh strawberry, lime juice and ginger beer ($9).
The Purple Pig
444 N. Michigan Ave.
Under the guidance of Beverage Director Alan Beasey, Chicago’s original emporium for “cheese, swine and wine” is embracing spirit-free beverages, with refreshing offerings (all $10) such as:
* Cranberry Tarragon Soda with cranberry juice, cranberry tarragon syrup, lemon and soda
* NoStigmas with pineapple, ginger syrup, lemon and Three Cents lemon tonic
* Dropping Beets with beet juice, cranberry juice, apple juice, honey and line
* Orange is the New with carrot, mint, honey, lemon and Three Cents Ginger Beer
* Tropic Berry Citrus with cranberry juice, grapefruit juice and pineapple
Time Out Market Chicago
916 W. Fulton Market
From the brilliant minds of leading cocktail experts Paul McGee and Shelby Allison comes the Parchita. Now available at Secret Sound — the speakeasy at the newly opened Time Out Market Chicago — this spirit-free creation features Seedlip Spiced, passionfruit, pineapple and tonic ($12).
1462 E 53rd Street
Chicago, IL 60615
At Hyde Park’s lauded Virtue restaurant, led by Chef/Owner Erick Williams, guests can saddle up to the bar and enjoy creative and competitively priced renditions such as:
* The Hummingbird with basil, bitter lemon ($5)
* Duke of Earl with Earl Grey tea, star anise, lemon, egg white ($5)