By Debbie Hall
Lead photo of the opening by Jose Salinas
Photo of drinks courtesy of Feast Of Friends
Photo of Fruitcake Flip drink by Melissa Hom
The holiday season has arrived at The Sand Dollar Lounge, now majestically transformed into a unique winter wonderland pop-up bar. The live music, craft cocktail, and pizza bar will become Miracle On Spring Mountain from Nov. 23 through New Year’s Eve.
The fantastical Christmas and holiday-themed hot spot is resplendent in all the trimmings (elves, candy canes, stockings, and Santa, Santa, and more Santa) with special theme nights throughout the season. Decor by the Bright Lights Holiday Co. & Team is highlighted by the “Santa’s Twerk Shop” donation booth (proceeds benefiting the Las Vegas Rescue Mission), North Pole stage backdrop, and the Hanukkah corner. Ambient musical performances by solo artists and small combos will be offered on Friday and Saturday nights. Specialty cocktails, theme nights, and pizza pop-ups by prominent local chefs add to the fun.
The entire drink menu has been switched over to an extensive holiday-themed Miracle Bar menu, served in unique mugs and glassware (available for purchase).
- Snowball Old-Fashioned (rye, gingerbread, Angostura bitters, Wormwood bitters, orange essence)
- Christmas Carol Barrel (reposado tequila, coffee liqueur, dry Curaçao, spiced chocolate)
- Christmapolitan (vodka, elderflower, dry vermouth, spiced cranberry sauce, rosemary, lime, absinthe mist)
- Fruitcake Flip (brandy, Jamaican overproof rum, amaretto, fruitcake, cherry bitters, whole egg)
- Jolly Koala (gin, vermouth, pine-cardamom-sage cordial)
- On Dasher (bourbon, mezcal, sweet vermouth, spiced hibiscus, lemon, burlesque bitters)
- Bad Santa – Served hot (mulled red wine, tawny port, orange liqueur, Christmas spices)
- SanTaRex (tequila, Branca Menta, cacao blanc, mezcal, serrano, coconut, acid-adjusted pineapple)
- Yippie Ki Yay Mother F*&^%r! (a blend of four rums, pumpkin-almond orgeat, lime, Angostura bitters)
- Jingle Balls Nog (cognac, cream sherry, almond milk, cream, egg, vanilla, nutmeg)
Special theme nights and pizza pop-ups will continue the holiday spirit. Patrons are encouraged to dress in the spirit of the theme nights, with special attractions planned. During pizza pop-ups, prominent local chefs will create unique pizzas, with net proceeds going to Las Vegas Rescue Mission.
- Sunday, Nov. 29: Justin Kingsley Hall Pizza Pop-Up
- Monday, Dec. 1: Ugly Sweater Party feat. Paradise City Creamery Pop-Up
- Wednesday, Dec. 2: Johnny Church Pizza Pop-Up
- Sunday, Dec. 6: Josh Smith Pizza Pop-Up
- Monday, Dec. 7: The Grinch Day
- Wed Dec. 9 James Trees Pizza Pop-Up
- Thursday, Dec. 10: First Night of Hanukkah Vodka-Latke Party (free latkes while they last)
- Sunday, Dec. 13: Brian Howard Pizza Pop-Up
- Monday, Dec. 14: Candy Cane Day
- Wednesday, Dec. 16: Petrina Peart Pizza Pop-Up
- Sunday, Dec.20: Chris Decker Pizza Pop-Up
- Monday, Dec. 21: Naughty or Nice night feat. Paradise City Creamery pop-up
- Wednesday, Dec. 23: Justin Ford Pizza Pop-Up
During the Miracle on Spring Mountain pop up, The Sand Dollar Lounge management will continue to follow all mandated COVID-safe protocols as previously detailed, including 25% capacity, required reservations via the Sand Dollar Lounge website (thesanddollarlv.com), limited to parties of four (4) seated together, sanitization between all guest visits, and masks required at all times (unless physically eating).
Miracle Pop-up was created in 2014 by Greg Boehm and Nico de Soto while planning the build-out of what was to be their new cocktail bar, Mace, in New York City’s East Village. The work was scheduled throughout the holidays, but before demolition began, Greg received a call from his mother, traveling in Tibet at the time, and she suggested that they should wait on construction until January. She suggested that the space be used for a pop-up Christmas bar instead. Miracle, the pop-up holiday bar, quickly grew as a must-visit holiday destination while in New York.
The following year, Greg and his team decided to bring Miracle back to the original Mace location and partner with New York locations. In 2016, Miracle grew to 17 locations and soon expanded globally in the years to follow. For more details, visit Miraclepopup.com.
The Sand Dollar Lounge is a local Vegas landmark enjoying the rush of a second life. Originally opened as a blues bar in 1976, The Sand Dollar quickly became a draw for iconic musicians including Muddy Waters, B.B. King, and Mick Jagger over its first 30 years. Hit by hard times, The Sand Dollar closed its doors in 2013, but within two years was purchased and reignited by a team of hospitality veterans, Anthony Jamison, Benito Martinez, and Nathan Grates.
Honoring the iconic Las Vegas venue’s tradition and history, The Sand Dollar Lounge, 3355 Spring Mountain Road, reclaimed its beloved spot. Hours are 4 p.m. to 4 a.m., and beginning Nov. 27, hours are 2 p.m. to 4 a.m. seven days a week with reservations required via the Sand Dollar Lounge website (thesanddollarlv.com). For updated information and entertainment listings, visit thesanddollarlv.com, Facebook: @TheSandDollarLV, Instagram: @thesanddollarlv, or call 702-485-5401.