With so many diet fads and food trends filling the food and beverage space, it’s easy to forget the simple foods that were once the bread and butter (literally and figuratively) of Americans diets. Specifically, rice has been replaced by its more fascinating grain counterparts like quinoa, bulgur and cous cous. Their exotic names and ethnic flair make them more appealing on menus and at the dinner table compared to simpler rice varieties. Further, these exotic grains tend to be more costly while not offering any additional health benefits.
According to the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), half of the world’s population depends on rice as a key ingredient in their diet. Seeing as this universally loved ingredient can sometimes fall off the radar, we wanted to share the top five benefits of rice that may have been forgotten over the years straight from go-to manufacture of packaged foods, specializing in ethnic and Latin cuisine, Iberia Foods.
- Affordable Price. One 10 lb. bag of rice can provide up to a month’s worth of delicious and filling meals
- Gluten-Free AND Cholesterol-Free. Rice is naturally gluten-free and cholesterol-free
- Does not contain harmful fats, cholesterol or sodium. Low sodium in rice makes it a preferred food for those who suffer from hypertension
- Rich in Vitamins. Excellent source of vitamins and minerals including: niacin, vitamin D, calcium, fiber, iron, thiamine and riboflavin
- Protein. Rice forms a complete protein when combined with beans making it a great substitute for meat
- Versatility. Rice can be used as a base for a number of dishes or combined with simple ingredients to be eaten alone. Can be steamed, cooked, boiled or baked
**FUN FACT: Rice is a symbol of life and fertility, which is why rice was traditionally throw at weddings
Iberia Foods carries a selection of rice varieties including: Parboiled Rice ($3.39-$13.98), Yellow Rice ($5.99) and Brown Rice ($2.99-$9.99).
About Iberia Foods:
Iberia Foods started in 1930’s as an olive importer. Its brands are currently available in over 10,000 supermarkets, club stores, wholesalers and distributors on the East Coast.
Iberia Foods offers a wide range of food and beverage products and categories — from olives and extra virgin olive oils to rice, beans and canned goods – bringing the Hispanic and Caribbean household a taste of home and the American consumer true authenticity with its versatile selection of products. Iberia Foods also offers seasonings and other condiments including great canned seafood from Spain, canned meats, grains. Aside from its own brands, Iberia Foods Corp. exclusively distributes well known market leaders from the Caribbean, various countries in Latin America and Spain.
For additional information please visit, www.iberiafoods.com.