Have you ever wondered why many people are going crazy of dalgona coffee? Why is it so special when it comprises the same ingredients you use to make coffee: instant coffee, water, milk, and sugar?
Pragmatic people will say that it’s the same. However, for those who love the taste, it is instant coffee with a twist. The difference is that dalgona coffee is whipped, frothy iced coffee drink. You can say there’s more iced milk in it. The milk sits at the bottom of the cup or glass, topped with the whipped coffee cream. Other people call it frothy coffee, fluffy coffee, or whipped coffee.
Now the question is, how easy is it learn how to make whipped coffee so you can enjoy it any time?
The taste of whipped coffee
Before we go into the steps of making whipped coffee, let us try to describe its taste. Some people say it tastes like frappucino from your favorite coffee shop. It is different from a coffee-flavored milk shake, and does not have too much ice. Other people think that it is like iced cloud macchiato. With its coffee foam, others believe that it is more like milky iced coffee with milk froth you find in lattes and cappuccinos.
How to make whipped coffee
You will need these ingredients:
- Two tablespoons instant coffee
- Two tablespoons granulated or white sugar
- Two tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup milk
- Ice cubes
You will also need a stand mixer with a whisk or a handheld electric mixer. Some people use an electric milk frother but the process will take longer.
Things to remember
You have to strictly follow to instructions to ensure success in making whipped coffee.
- First, you can only use instant coffee. The emulsifier added to instant coffee is what helps make the cream.
- While it is advisable to use white or granulated sugar, you can also use brown, coconut or raw sugar, although the coffee cream will not be as fluffy because the other sugars contain more moisture so they are heavier.
- Use boiling water to ensure that the sugar and coffee granules are fully dissolved.
- Combine the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl before adding the boiling water. Whisk the ingredients for about two to three minutes, until you have achieved a meringue/marshmallow consistency.
- Pour the cup of milk in a container and add some ice cubes.
- Use a cookie dough scoop or a rubber spatula to distribute the coffee cream on top of the iced milk. Add a straw, stir, and have fun enjoying your whipped coffee.
Remember that you can only make whipped coffee or dalgona coffee with instant coffee. You can use substitutes for the other ingredients, although you may not achieve the right texture and consistency, particularly when using another type of sugar. Take care while you whisk the ingredients, start with low, then medium to high speed as the mixture becomes creamier. The more you whisk, the more you can make the coffee cream airier and fluffier.