King David Tacos, New York’s designated breakfast taco company from Austin, TX native Liz Solomon Dwyer, debuts its first brick + mortar location in Brooklyn’s Prospect Heights at 611 Bergen St (www.kingdavidtacos.com; 929.367.8226). Alongside its classic selection of popular breakfast tacos at carts and cafes across the city, KDT’s menu expands to include all-day offerings of lunch-inspired Breakfast Tacos, its signature Queso, all-new Nachos and a larger beverage program.
“Our specialty has always been convenience and wholesomeness in the morning, and we’re excited to spread our wings and keep doing what we do best: making breakfast tacos integral to the New York lifestyle,” says Solomon Dwyer.
King David Tacos began in pursuit of providing a nutritious, portable breakfast to hungry New Yorkers on-the-go. As always, authentic, preservative-free tortillas are shipped from Austin, TX’s family-owned Fiesta Tortillas for menu favorites like the Queen Bean, Mom’s Migas—named after Solomon Dwyer’s mother’s Tex-mex migas recipe—and The No. 5 (vegan) made with KDT’s ‘Chili Non Carne.’ Highlights from the new menu include:
- Pollo Verde: a Verde Enchilada in breakfast taco form made with shredded chicken, verde migas and white cheddar cheese
- The Cowboy: Marinated steak, oven-roasted potatoes, eggs and yellow cheddar
- Bean & Cheese: house-made *vegetarian* refried beans and yellow cheddar/Monterey jack blend, what some consider the “OG” breakfast taco
- KDT Queso: A melty Texan favorite – served as a dip or as nachos, with add-ins like chorizo or vegan Chili Non Carne
- House-made Horchata+ a menu of Stumptown Coffee including original KDT creations like Oatly Horchata Cold Brew and Mexican Mocha, a take on Mexican hot chocolate
- Wine + beer (including both local + Texas imports)
- Breakfast tacos are exclusively made with Vital Farms pasture-raised eggs. GF, dairy-free, egg-free and vegan options are available
The grab n’ go centric space features a bold navy-blue painted brick facade, a welcome pop of color on the industrial block located just off bustling Vanderbilt Ave. A sprawling 1,200-square-foot all-weather patio with an awning and heaters abuts an additional pickup window for takeout, while the interior design evokes a combination of vintage Texas and modern industrial New York. Mixed metals such as bronze, silver and a gold painted ceiling—a nod to KDT’s signature silver + gold-wrapped tacos—are offset by walnut accents, a soapstone bar, and terracotta tiles, complete with artwork by local Texan folk artist Leon Collins. More than just its first brick + mortar, this location is its new flagship, including a 4,000 square foot kitchen that now serves as the base of operations for the entire King David Tacos brand.
What began as catering and a humble taco cart, King David Tacos has grown into:
- Three cart locations: Madison Square Park, Prospect Park @ Grand Army Plaza, and Imagination Playground across from Pier 17 (South Street Seaport)
- Retail Partner program: KDT’s tacos can be found at variouscafes around NYC like Stumptown, Hungry Ghost Coffee, Blank Street and more.
- Taco Drops: direct-to-consumer, contactless delivery of cold, ready-to-heat tacos, great for stocking the fridge for breakfast all week long. Separate from KDT’s hot catering, the Taco Drops stemmed from consumer needs at home amid the pandemic
King David Tacos Prospect Heights opens with outdoor dining + takeout from 7am – 3pm daily. For more information, call 929.367.8226, visit www.kingdavidtacos.com and connect on Instagram @kingdavidtacos and Facebook.