By: Anthony Olender
A gourmet is a person devoted to the sumptuous delight of delicious food. Gourmet food is of the highest quality and flavor, prepared well and presented in an artful manner.
Stock is an extraction of every bit of flavor and body out of the ingredients. It forms the basis for cooking a variety of sauces, gravies, soups and stew making.
- Chicken Stock is the building block of many soups, sauces and stews. It adds a depth of flavor and richness to soup, vegetable, pasta, rice, seafood and meat dishes.
- Fish Stock and Lobster Stock are made form various fish and shellfish that have been cooked down with aromatics and wines into a rich sauce. They create a base for a variety of seafood dishes that are grilled, baked, and broiled.
- Demi-glace is a sauce made from concentrated Brown Stock combined with Espangnole sauce. It is used toenhance the flavor of a variety of meat dishes that are sautéed, roasted and grilled.
- Beef/veal stock is derived from veal which is lean, light pink flesh, having delicate flavor and tender, firm texture. It is used when a lighter, sweeter meat flavor is desired.
- Lamb Stock enhances the natural flavors and juices found in various lamb dishes.
- Duck Fat is perfect as a substitute for butter and oil while doing sauté for many dishes.
- Turkey Stock has a deep, rich turkey flavor that is used in soups, stews, gravies and sauces.
- Vegetable Stock is used for making vegetarian soups, sauces and grain dishes.
Gourmet Seasoning is used to enhance the natural flavors of meats, poultry, seafood, vegetables, and a variety of grain dishes.
- Dry Rub usually consists of a variety of spices, used for seasoning poultry, beef, fish, and vegetables before cooking to intensify the natural flavors.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil is used for salad dressings, soups, and grilled foods such as vegetables and fish. Most often used as a finishing oil rather than a cooking oil where a more delicate flavor is desired.
- Truffle Oil is a combination of extra virgin olive oil and the most desired white truffles. They add an earthiness and mysterious depth of flavor to steak, pasta, fried eggs, mushroom dishes and cheese.
- Balsamic Vinegar is a fragrant vinegar, usually made from the juice of ‘Trebbiano’ grapes. It has a sweet and sour flavor as a young balsamic. Aging balsamic vinegar in barrels adds a depth, character and sweetness to it over time
- Dried Mushrooms are used in sauces, soups, stir-fry and stews. There are a large variety of mushrooms each imparting its own flavor from very mild to rich and bold earthy flavors and aromas to add to a variety of dishes.
- Saffron Rice is a rice dish having an aroma and flavor of saffron.
- Capers In Saltare unopened flower buds of Capers or caper-berries cured and preserved in sea salt giving them a sharp salty-sour flavor. They are basically used as a condiment.
Gourmet Cooking Sauces
- Barbecue Sauce tops meat after cooking or during barbecuing, grilling, or baking.
- Chocolate Syrup is a sauce that is usually added to foods such as desserts. It adds additional layers of flavor that blends with berries, ice cream and yogurt for example.
- Pomegranate Sauces combine the delicious natural flavors of the pomegranate fruit. An intensely tart/sweet flavor used to accent a variety of dishes from desserts to meats, chicken, seafood, salads, stews and more.
Gourmet Food and Specialty Foods are generally superior in quality, made by artisans in smaller volume and adds the crowning touch to a variety of dishes.