New Callebaut Chocolate Academy is a state-of-the-art training centre which takes the professional on a journey from bean to chocolate.
Today, the new Callebaut Chocolate Academy centre was officially opened. The flagship Chocolate Academy centre offers professionals from all backgrounds a place to learn and strengthen skills while working with Callebaut Finest Belgian Chocolate. Located next to the factory where Callebaut has been crafting chocolate from cocoa beans since 1911, the Academy builds upon 25 years of sharing know-how with artisans on each production step from bean to chocolate. Callebaut is the Belgian chocolate brand of Barry Callebaut, the world’s leading manufacturer of premium chocolate and cocoa products.
“The Chocolate Academy centres are unique when it comes to sharing best practices and increasing chocolate mastery. Currently, in our 16 training centres around the world, we partner with craftsmen such as chocolatiers, bakers, pastry and kitchen chefs,” says Freek van der Knaap, Vice President Gourmet Western Europe. In the Chocolate Academy centre, chocolate professionals will come to train themselves, follow courses and receive demonstrations – from professionals for professionals.”
1,000 professionals expected per year
To date in Wieze, about 300 people follow training and take courses each year. That number is expected to climb to 1,000 with the new Academy. Trainings are conducted by Callebaut Chefs and complemented by “Chocolate Ambassadors,” a global network of renowned chefs who share their chocolate expertise with other members of their profession.
“More than ever Belgium is seen the world over as the home of Callebaut and heart of chocolate know-how,” says Geert Kiesekoms, Gourmet Sales Director Benelux.
“This new Academy is an incredible asset to chefs. Where else can one find a mini-production line to illustrate how Callebaut chocolate is made, or even make chocolate themselves?” says Chef Alexandre Bourdeaux, Head of the Callebaut Chocolate Academy in Wieze.
From Plantation to the Chocolate Tasting Ritual Room: a 360° chocolate experience
The new Callebaut Chocolate Academy centre offers a variety of attractions to its visitors, such as:
- The Chocolaterie, Bakery Shop, Pastry Lab and the Chef’s Table: Individual training spaces geared towards instructing one specific group of artisans, i.e. chocolatiers, bakers, pastry chefs and restaurant chefs
- The Plantation: A small-scale reproduction of a tropical forest which features cocoa trees – where chocolate professionals can be immersed in the world of cocoa and see cocoa fruits in a natural habitat.
- A Chocolate Tasting Ritual Room: A special room where a sensory specialist guides the guests through the varied world of chocolate flavors
- The Chocotorium: a 100-seat theater available for lectures given by chocolate experts
- A Chocolate Bar: Visitors can sample freshly-made hot and cold chocolate drinks
- A Chocolate Library: Offers a vast collection of books on chocolate – and the variety of potential applications
- Sustainable Chocolate
- All Callebaut Belgian Finest Chocolate used in the Chocolate Academy centre is made with sustainable cacao. Callebaut’s Growing Great Chocolate program actively supports farmer cooperatives in adopting innovative and modern agricultural practices offered through training programs in the field.
For more than 100 years, Callebaut has been making chocolate in the heart of Belgium and is still one of the rare chocolate makers to select, roast and grind cacao beans into its own secret and exclusive cocoa mass – the most important ingredient for chocolate couvertures. Callebaut was established in 1850 in Belgium as a malt brewery and dairy company. It produced its first chocolate bars in 1911 and began production of chocolate couverture for Belgian chocolatiers soon after.
Callebaut began exporting its products in 1950 to craftsmen all over the world and is part of Barry
Callebaut, the world’s leading manufacturer of high-quality cocoa and chocolate. For more information please visit www.callebaut.com
With annual sales of about CHF 4.9 billion (EUR 4.0 billion / USD 5.2 billion) in fiscal year 2012/13, Zurich-based Barry Callebaut is the world’s leading manufacturer of high-quality chocolate and cocoa products – from sourcing and processing cocoa beans to producing the finest chocolates, including chocolate fillings, decorations and compounds. The company runs more than 50 production facilities worldwide and employs a diverse and dedicated global workforce of over 9,000 people.
Barry Callebaut serves the entire food industry, from industrial food manufacturers to artisanal and professional users of chocolate, such as chocolatiers, pastry chefs, bakers, hotels, restaurants or caterers. The two global brands catering to the specific needs of these Gourmet customers are Callebaut and Cacao Barry.
Barry Callebaut is committed to a sustainable cocoa production through its “Cocoa Horizons” initiative, and to help ensure future supplies of cocoa as well as improve farmer livelihoods. For more information please visit www.barry-callebaut.com