Palette, the vibrant SoMA dining destination that showcases the intersection of art and cuisine, opens its new outdoor Terrace today. Specifically designed for fine dining in today’s world by chef and owner Peter J. Hemsley and project manager David Middleton, in coordination with ShopFloor Design, the Terrace is a permanent addition to Palette.
Flanked by a U-shaped, channeled steel enclosure, well-appointed landscaping surrounds the Terrace. Ambiance lighting and high-level service, typically found at a fine-dining establishment, complete the elevated experience. Heaters, blankets and a full range of other services customary to al fresco dining are available, and an adaptable roof structure allows dining under all weather conditions. The Terrace incorporates exterior mural design work from painter and artist Nathan Richard Phelps and is an extension of the existing mural art outside the building. .
The space replaces four parking spots in front of the restaurant at 816 Folsom Street, spanning more than 60 feet, and can comfortably accommodate 25 to 30 guests at socially distanced tables on a raised, redwood-planked patio. In conjunction with a soon-to-be announced full renovation of Palette’s interior dining room, bar, private dining room and art gallery, the Terrace will accommodate guests throughout the seasons in a sheltered space.
“In designing Palette’s Terrace, we felt it was very important to create a permanent outdoor dining structure that integrates fully with the building’s iconic exterior, as well as our future indoor dining room and gallery space,” Chef Hemsley said. “Our passion for food, art and community is at the heart of everything we do at Palette, and the Terrace is designed to showcase these elements as the first step in the restaurant’s reintroduction. With its own dedicated menu, including a full range of cocktails, dining on the Palette Terrace is an enticing experience unique to us and San Francisco.”
The large Terrace menu has something for everyone, but stays true to the seasons and Palette’s relationship with farmers across the Bay Area. It highlights Chef Hemsley’s “Cal-Coastal” food ethos, with a strict preference for local and sustainably sourced seafood, and produce and livestock from the coast of California.
Menu highlights include:
- Root Down Farm buttermilk fried chicken bites, marigold honey, salmon roe $16
- Kombu black cod “papillote,” miso glaze, sushi rice, sake beurre blanc $32
- New York strip, loaded Fully Belly Farm potato, confit shallot, béarnaise $56
- Ortiz Farms confit strawberry, ricotta cheesecake, sable breton $12
- Ice cream & Sorbet $8:
- Orchid watermelon sorbet, Full Belly Farm melon
- Summer berry sorbet, Yerena Farm berries
- Dandelion chocolate sorbet, candied cocoa nibs
- Sweet cream ice cream, Frog Hollow Farm apricot preserves
- Vanilla bean ice cream, brown butter waffle cone
Additionally, the Terrace features a “Buck-a-Shuck” Oyster and Champagne happy hour everyday from 4 to 5 p.m.
Cocktails are created by Trevin Hutchins, most recently of One65.
Featured cocktails include:
- The Toucan, a low ABV take on the Jungle Bird with Spanish vermouth, Campari, charred pineapple juice and blackstrap molasses – perfect for tiki cocktail lovers. $15
- Relating to the classic Old Pal, Boulevardier and Negroni family of cocktail variations, the Good Pal uses a mellow Irish whiskey, Sirene Bitter, dry vermouth and cucumber for freshness. $15
- The exclusive Palette Martini, brushed with edible herb paint, uses dill-forward Svol Aquavit, gin, dry vermouth and a few dashes of olive bitters to create a bold and balanced take on the Classic Martini.$15
The full Palette wine list is available as well as seven wines by the glass and six beers on tap.
Reservations for the Terrace at Palette are now available via OpenTable or by calling the restaurant directly at 415-865-0529. The Terrace isopen Tuesday through Saturday. Happy hour with “Buck-a-Shuck” oysters, Champagne, featured cocktails and small plates is available from 4 to 5 p.m., followed by the full dinner menu from 5 to 9 p.m.
Founded by Chef and Owner Peter J. Hemsley in 2019, Palette is a vibrant dining destination located in San Francisco’s thriving SOMA district exploring the relationship between food, art, and community. By working intimately with local Bay Area-based food purveyors, farmers and artisans, Palette combines food and art in a way that elevates all three. The seasonally inspired “Cal-Coastal” menus and artfully plated, custom-made dishes create an experience that appeals to the diverse needs of Palette’s surrounding neighborhood and visitors to San Francisco alike.
In recent months, Palette has offered its Palette at Home program. The menu varies week to week but always reflects the close relationship with local farmers and food producers with signature dishes such as Smoked Beet Tartare or Duck Confit Tacos. Orders are delivered in a custom designed gift box (photo) and come with pre-stamped postcards featuring Chef Hemsley’s illustrations of California produce, fish and livestock. Five percent of every to-go or delivery order goes to the Bay Area Arts Worker Relief Funds, which supports Bay Area visual artists in need during this unprecedented crisis.