Chef Sophina Uong of Revival Bar + Kitchen Wins SF Lamb Jam Second Year in a Row
SAN FRANCISCO, CA. –Chef Sophina Uong Revival Bar + Kitchen took first place for the second year in a row at the San Francisco Lamb Jam, winning in the categories of “Best of Show” and “Best Asian” with her dish: Spicy Burmese Lamb and Ginger Salad.
“Taking home the trophy a second time in a row was a tremendous honor,” said Chef Sophina Uong. “Having my cooks trust me to do something a bit out of the ordinary was a huge win as well.” Sponsored by the American Lamb Board, the event sold out, bringing 500 hungry fans to Golden Gate Club to taste globally inspired lamb dishes prepared by 13 of the Bay area’s finest chefs.
A panel of local judges blind-taste tested the 13 different lamb dishes, declaring the following winners in each category:
- Best in Show and Best Asian: Chef Sophina Uong Revival Bar + Kitchen – Spicy Burmese Lamb and Ginger Salad with Corn Pudding, Lemongrass, Crunchy Bits & Seeds
- Best Latin American: Chef Charlie Ayers of Calafia Café – Tender Braised Lamb Shank Tamale Steamed in Banana Leaf with Summer Corn “Pudding” Masa, Rich Oaxacan Black Mole, Pickled Onions, Shaved Cabbage, Cotija Cheese and Salsa Fresca
- Best Mediterranean: Chef Larry Finn of Scala’s Bistro – “Lambchetta”, Heirloom Bean and Tomato Salad, Gremolata
- Best Middle Eastern: Chef Francis Hogan of Sabio on Main – Baharat-Spiced Lamb Belly Sliders, Garbanzo-Almond Pesto, Early Girl Tomato, Mint Yogurt
- People’s Choice: David Bazirgan of Dirty Habit – Braised Lamb Shoulder Steamed Buns, Black Vinegar, Sichuan Peanuts
Chef Sophina Uong will put her winning Spicy Burmese Lamb & Ginger Salad with Corn Pudding, Lemongrass, Crunchy Bits & Seeds to the test in New York this September as she competes for the title of “Lamb Jam Master” at the 2015 Lamb Jam finale. She will join the winners of D.C., Boston, Austin and Seattle Lamb Jams (Chef Dimitri Moshovitis of Cava Mezze, Chef Tiffani Faison of Sweet Cheeks Q, Chef Ysaguirre of Jacoby’s Restaurant & Mercantile, and Chef Brett Teegardin of Purple Cafe & Wine Bar, respectively) at the James Beard House as they bring the 2015 Lamb Jam to a sizzling close.
About the American Lamb Board
The American Lamb Board is an industry-funded research and promotions commodity board that represents all sectors of the American Lamb industry including producers, feeders, seed stock producers and processors. The Board, appointed by the Secretary of Agriculture, is focused on increasing demand by promoting the freshness, flavor, nutritional benefits, and culinary versatility of American Lamb. The work of the American Lamb Board is overseen by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the board’s programs are supported and implemented by the staff in Denver, Colo.