Make Dad’s day with Nielsen-Massey’s flavor-packed rub and BBQ sauce
On June 15, delight ‘Dear Old Dad’ and all of your father figures with some lively new recipes for a tasty Father’s Day BBQ. Treat Dad, Grandpa, and even uncles to a delicious meal utilizing flavorful rubs and barbecue sauces featuring the flavors of Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, then send each of these men home with those same ingredients for his own at-home grilling.
“Whether Dad prefers a heartier meal like ribs or lighter fare such as chicken, we’ve created versatile rub and BBQ sauce recipes using vanilla to add a depth of flavor to grilled meats,” said Craig Nielsen, chief executive officer of Nielsen-Massey Vanillas. “I’m an avid griller, and I always use vanilla as my secret weapon when I’m grilling out. Experimenting with a new recipe and spending time together as a family is truly the best gift you can give Dad this Father’s Day.”
When planning your Father’s Day BBQ menu, consider trying the following easy-to-make rub and BBQ sauce recipes from Nielsen-Massey Vanillas. In addition to livening up your traditional Father’s Day BBQ, both recipes also make perfect gifts for anyone who loves to grill; just package in jars with the following descriptions for a thoughtful handmade gift:
- Sweet and Spicy Vanilla BBQ Rub – Featuring the flavors of chili powder, cocoa and Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Powder, this rub is perfect for pairing with chicken, pork, beef or fish. Simply apply generously and rub all over meat before grilling or oven-roasting for a blast of spicy, smoky flavor. Make a large batch and store the remaining rub in an air tight container; keep in a cool, dry place for a ready-to-use addition to your next grilling recipe.
- Nielsen-Massey Signature BBQ Sauce – This sweet sauce surprises the palette with Nielsen-Massey Mexican Pure Vanilla Extract, Pure Chocolate Extract and Pure Coffee Extract and makes the perfect accompaniment for all of your favorite BBQ recipes. Brush onto ribs or chicken during grilling or serve on top of your favorite burger recipe. Store in the refrigerator for an accessible, multi-purpose sauce.
Delight Dad with the Sweet and Spicy Vanilla BBQ Rub and Nielsen-Massey Signature BBQ Sauce recipes below. Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Powder, Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, Pure Chocolate Extract and Pure Coffee Extract highlight these recipes that are sure to be new summer favorites.
Sweet and Spicy Vanilla BBQ Rub
(Makes about ⅓ Cup)
- 1 tablespoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Mexican style chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground marjoram
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa (Dutch processed)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, add vanilla powder, paprika, sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, marjoram, onion powder and cocoa powder, salt and pepper; combine.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
This BBQ rub works great with chicken, pork, beef or fish. Whether grilling or oven roasting, generously apply rub before cooking.
Nielsen-Massey Signature BBQ Sauce
(Makes about 1½ Cups)
- 2 tablespoons
- ¼ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon chocolate flavored syrup
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons natural hickory liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Nielsen-Massey Mexican Pure Vanilla Extract*
- ½ teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Chocolate Extract
- ½ teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Coffee Extract
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add sugar, molasses, chocolate syrup, hot sauce, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, ketchup, vanilla, chocolate and coffee extracts.
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes; stirring occasionally.
* Substitute Mexican Pure Vanilla Extract with any of your favorite Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extracts.
Visit the Nielsen-Massey Website for more grilling recipes, including:
- Salmon with Vanilla-Balsamic Marinade
- Ribs with Smokey Vanilla BBQ Sauce
- Coconut Spiced Lemon Shrimp Skewers
- Kona Rubbed Steak
- Savory Pork Tenderloin
About Nielsen-Massey Vanillas
Throughout its more than 100 year history, Nielsen-Massey Vanillas has earned its reputation as a manufacturer of the finest extracts in the world. The full line of Nielsen-Massey’s Pure Vanilla products include: Vanilla Beans and Extracts from Madagascar, Tahiti and Mexico; sugar and alcohol-free Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Powder; Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste; Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Sugar, Organic Fairtrade Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract and Organic Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Beans.
Nielsen-Massey Vanillas also offers a full line of Pure Flavors: Pure Chocolate Extract, Pure Almond Extract, Pure Orange Extract, Pure Lemon Extract, Pure Coffee Extract, Pure Peppermint Extract, Orange Blossom Water and Rose Water. All Nielsen-Massey products are All-Natural, Allergen-Free, and certified Kosher and Gluten-Free. The company is headquartered in Waukegan, Illinois, with production facilities in Waukegan and Leeuwarden, The Netherlands. For more information please visit www.nielsenmassey.com